May 1, 2011

Celiac Awareness Month

May is Celiac Awareness Month and though I may not be a full blown Celiac, I do however have gluten intolerance.

Celiac Disease is an inherited autoimmune disease that effects more than 3 million Americans. The disease affects the digestive process of the small intestine and is triggered by the consumption of gluten- a protein found in wheat, barley and rye.  Celiac Disease causes an abnormal response to gluten ingestion: the immune system attacks the small intestine, inhibiting the absorption of important nutrients, destroying the intestinal villi and wreaking havoc on the bodies systems.  

My story is so similar to every other Celiac’s I’ve read or heard.  For two years I endured five doctors, numerous ER visits and every test that involves drinking gross things known to man.  Finally on Dr. #5 when he couldn’t find anything wrong with me, and refused to run the Celiac/food allergy test instead wanting to do exploratory surgery, I asked him if I were your daughter would you want me to do this or seek another source, like a Homeopathic Doctor.  While he said he didn’t believe in that, if I were his daughter he would suggest another step before the surgery. I decided to go to a homeopathic Dr. and see what he had to say, if he couldn’t find anything then yes I would go with the surgery. Well I got lucky and that Dr. ran the blood test and found right away that not only was I gluten intolerant but also had a strew of other food sensitivities.  So here I am today, I don’t look like a walking zombie, my eyes aren’t sunken back, I don’t want to lay down in a ball and sleep ALL THE TIME, my hair isn’t falling out and I don’t feel like something 500 pounds is sitting on my stomach every second of the day.

With this in mind for the entire month of May I am going to donate 10% of each of my sales from the Trunk to the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center.  The University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center is at the forefront of research and professional education regarding Celiac Disease.  Their research is funded by generous donations and with your purchases we can help put them a little closer to achieving their ultimate goal of determining the origination and development of a disease and uncover ways to prevent it.  97% of people with Celiac Disease have not been diagnosed.

*All Celiac information is via the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center website.  For more information on symptoms and research please visit them HERE

*Update I had a biopsy of my small intestine and have been diagnosed as a celiac*

Over-N-Out

No comments:

Post a Comment