April 13, 2011

Flower Frogs

For some reason I have started collecting these little suckers.  (I blame my mom for this as well as for my many other vintage collections.) My mom has a HUGE antique urn full of these little gems, she prefers the glass ones to the metal but any that she finds, anywhere, she seems to adopt. She especially likes the metal caged frogs, but those are hard to find. I would like one for my collection and always hunt for one.


I have found that I prefer the colored glass dome shaped ones to clear glass and flat and the metal ones that still have their color and are rectangular to the copper and metal round frogs.  A little tip; the rectangular frogs holds photos so nicely and are a great alternative to a picture frame. Especially if you have any antique family photos that were printed on cardboard they look very cool sitting in a frog on a bookshelf, just saying.



These caged frogs from Sugarcube Vintage are what I search for and are also showing how awesome they are to display antique photos. Check out their shop, its full of other goodies:)



As I was taking pictures for the upcoming shop update, I have a set of two frogs to list.  The larger was stamped on the bottom “ Beagle Manufacturing Company Pasadena California No. 6”, I was intrigued,  so I took to Google to see what I could find out.  

I found that the Beagle Manufacturing Company produced frogs from the 1920’s through the 1950’s.  They started making the sharp spike holders in the 1930’s when flower delivery started to become big.  The florist’s needed something that would hold their arrangements super tight and secure as the arrangements made their way to their recipient.  It’s fun sometimes to imagine what sort of arrangements these gems held, did they hold “Congratulations on your new baby flowers”, “ Just because I love you” flowers, “ Happy Anniversary” flowers or “simply to make a table look pretty for a dinner party” flowers.  Either way these frogs are a part of our American History, and were in attendance at an important moment in a person’s life.  What sort of history would you start with these two frogs?

No comments:

Post a Comment