May 1, 2012

Celiac Awareness Month

Happy May Everyone!

This month is proving to be a busy one for me and it’s only day one!  I don’t have an open weekend this month to do anything that just “pops up”, but really I’m not complaining, ask me on June 1st though how I feel.

As some of you that follow me on Twitter, here and/or know me in person know that I live a gluten free lifestyle, and that I have been this way for 4 years now.  Crazy to think that I haven’t had a real sandwich in 4 years, Yikes!  You can read my full story, in the post I did last year HERE.

The month of May is designated as Celiac Awareness Month.  For those of you that don’t know Celiac Disease is an inherited autoimmune disease that affects more than 3 million Americans. The disease affects the digestive process of the small intestine and is triggered by the consumption of gluten- a protein found in wheat, barley and rye. Celiac Disease causes and abnormal response to gluten ingestion: the immune system attacks the small intestine, inhibiting the absorption of important nutrients, destroying the intestinal villi and wreaking havoc on the bodies systems.  The only way to be correctly diagnosed with Celiac Disease is by blood test AND by getting a bioposy of your small intestine tested.  Living a gluten free lifestyle is not a joke to those of us that get incredibly sick when we ingest and the fact that “going gluten free” has become this year’s fad diet annoys me to no end but this is not the place to stand on that soapbox.

 Since being gluten free is pretty much the biggest part of my life and has changed how I will forever eat and look at food, this year I have again decided to donate 10% of the total sales for the month from both Junk in da Trunk and Jadarie Handmade to the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center, the forefront of research and professional education regarding Celiac Disease.  Their research and efforts are funded by generous donations and by purchasing from Junk or Jadarie in the month of May together we can help them achieve their ultimate goal of determining the orientation and development of this disease and uncover ways to prevent it. 


Thanks for your time!
Over-N-Out

*All information is from the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center website. For more information please visit them HERE or their Facebook and their super fun Twitter Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment