June 27, 2011

Crossing off # 25

On my 30 before 30 list #25 was to send a soldier a care package,  well I sent out two care packages.  I used the site Any Soldier   and went through the list of names and picked one randomly out.  There are over, 1,400 names on this site.  The soldier I picked is in a K-9 unit in Iraq and posted pictures of the dogs and stuff, and I am a sucker for dogs so I picked that soldier right away.  Then a few days went by and in more research I found that you can have two Military people through this site so I scrolled through the names again and picked a Marine this time stationed in Afghanistan.

A few days ago I sent them out their care packages.  At the post office, the clerk that regularly helps me with sending out the Junk orders told me that the packages get air dropped near an area where they are stationed every two weeks at the same time.  I had to ask if my package would have a parachute on it and she said probably not that it would be in a mail bag, but that the mail bag would most likely have a parachute on it.  Ha Ha... I wrote each of them a letter and told them, I had so much fun putting their care packages together that I would send out another one in September.  I included a self-addressed envelope and some paper and told them to write me if there was anything more specific that they wanted/needed.  We'll see, I'm not expecting to hear anything cause you know they are busy trying to stay alive and all :)







I encourage, anyone that reads this to check out the site if you are interested, some of these peoples stories brought tears to my eyes. Alot of them this is their 3rd or 4th tour over there and their supply stores don't have too many things and run out quickly.  Whatever your views of the war are, these are our people that need our help and support.

Over-N-Out

No comments:

Post a Comment