December 14, 2011

The Cost of Handmade

Happy December! Wow can you believe that Christmas is next weekend?! Holy Cannoli!!  I have been busily making some Christmas gifts for my family and friends since this year I decided to either hand make their gifts or of course support local/independent businesses.
  
Also during this time of year, I do a few area craft shows to promote my Jadarie Handmade Etsy shop.  What happened to me a few shows ago kind of perturbs me.  Here’s the story, at this show I was selling all of my things most of which are not listed on my online shop as they are more of a local craze, which I understand I should be listing online, that my friends is my new year’s resolution however.

 Anywhoodle,  at this show a customer came up to me and was looking at my handbags and made this whistle and expressed to me how expensive they were and questioned how would I ever sell any.  That day I went on to sell some bags but it just disturbs me that some people go to a craft fair and expect to get prices comparable to those of say Walmart or Target.

I found THIS article it’s by Somer Shorwood and she explains why the price of handmade is the way that it is.  But the real kicker of my experience was this customer also asked me if I was going to do another certain local show, and I politely said, “Well if my prices are too expensive I don’t think that I will.”  Pssh, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing:)

1 comment:

  1. From a veteran vendor...something like this usually happens at every show. I remember one time I turned 2 socks into a long john decoration for your laundry room, sewed buttons on...etc. One lady came up to my booth and said "who would sew buttons on socks?" Now, everytime someone comes into our booth and looks confused...my friend Lisa and I say "who would sew buttons on socks?" we laugh everytime. There is ignorance everywhere...just me...Blessings from Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete