January 12, 2011

The best junk I've put in my trunk

I guess the next question to answer is, What’s the best thing you found at a thrift store?  That’s a toughie but I think the purchase that knocked it out of the park happened in High School. My group of friends were very much into going over to the local Goodwill and finding ridiculous t-shirts from the 70’s and t-shirts that had ridiculous sayings on them.  That was the thing to do when we were bored, now pay attention I grew up in a small down in Wisconsin, this is what we did when we weren’t cow tipping (just kidding, we rarely did things like that).   Any who back to the task at hand, on one of our Goodwill adventures I broke off from the group and went in search of things other then t-shirts and I found this super awesome vintage Navy peacoat (as in from a  real Sailor named Kent his name is written in permanent marker inside) and this peacoat was $5 I was sold.  I bought and brought it home and my mom was like that is going to be super warm this winter (I bought it in July) and you got that at the Goodwill? (I like to think that is when I turned my mom onto Goodwill but that is another story) I started screaming out “Ya mom and it was $5!!!! How do I wash it?”  Well she told me to get it dry cleaned, now let’s remember at this point in time I was in High School and had limited funds, so what is a girl to do but call up Grandma and tell her about my fabulous purchase.  I tell her and she says, “Jadarie bring that coat over here right away it probably has bugs.  I’m taking it to the cleaners now, I’ll be in your driveway in 5 minutes.”  Low and behold grandma got it dry cleaned and I’m still wearing that Kent peacoat today, I bust it out in January because it’s the warmest coat I own.  (And for the record I’ve also just recently sold my grandma on thrift stores as forever she thought they were full of bugs.  Her and my grandpas go weekly now)

From that peacoat purchase brought a whole new fascination with thrift stores. While my friends were looking for t-shirts I would roam around and find some super awesome stuff which at that time I did not have a use for.  Fast forward 10 years later and I now can be found at various thrift stores, estate sales and garage sales (when in season in the Midwest) on a weekly basis.  I like to search for clothes, especially jackets (obviously) and things I collect like Pyrex, cameras, clocks and children’s books.

1 comment: